Blog over de restauratie van mijn '50 Studebaker Commander

Laatste

Exhaust

Bas from Automaxx

Bas Schoonhoven from AutoMax

A 1950 exhaust pipe is not readily available in the Netherlands. Fortunately there are places where I can have one custom made. Bas Schoonhoven from AutoMax in Utrecht did a perfect job copying the old pipes.

The new exhaust fitted readily and look good on the  Chassis.

DSCN99841

DSCN99832

Drivetrain

I installed the gearbox and overdrive, connected the clutch mechanism and the propshaft with the universal links. This completes the drive train from the engine to the rear wheels.

DSCN9955Before we can drive away I still need to connect, adjust and test quite a few things to operate the gearbox and especially the overdrive. For the moment however I continued with the brake system. Since this is a simple single-cylinder brake system I would really like this to work properly. So when, while filling the lines, I found a dripping Tee I decided to replace it.

This means back to the internet to see if I can find a fitting Tee.

DSCN9956

DSCN9957

 

I did find the tee at Fittings And Adapters and ordered it. Not cheap for a piece of brass.

Back in place

DSCN9953

 

June 7th a year and a half ago I lifted the engine off. Now, completely revised I placed it back on its foundations. A milestone.

DSCN9951

DSCN9950

 

DSCN9314

 

 

Transmission

While waiting for parts I decided to start with the gearbox. “A nice little job” that I could do at home. The workshop is a bit cold this time of the year. It turned out to be a little more work than I expected. The front bearing needed replacement. Now is finding a new quality bearing not all that easy. Internet is a great help though. In the end I found an SKF bearing of the right dimensions, even with the right groove. All the gears and shafts were still excellent, the seals and gaskets were replaced with brand new ones.

The moment I had all the parts on the workbench I wondered if I’d ever get the gearbox working again. As it looks now, I did.

Deep under the dirt, in the crevices of the cast iron case, I found the original color. To my surprise it was the same color green as the engine. Did they really spray the whole engine to gearbox assembly in one go?

Just some pics today

 

 

Olive Green (RAL 6015)

After a long process of investigation, checking and comparing it looks like the color for the 1950 Commander engine is closest to RAL 6015. Deep down, between the mud, grease and carbonised oil I found some small areas of this color. It matched reasonably with the color sample I received from Studebaker International. Also the Forum more or less supported this choice so here it is:

In the pics it shows a bit different due to the flashlight. Left you see the two valve covers, below a few more pics of the result.

And as a reference a pic of the block before I started.

Primer

Today I had the time to clean the exterior of the engine, tape it off and spray it with the primer. It makes quite a difference.

What I had not yet mentioned was that I found a New Old Stock cylinder head to replace the cracked one. Amazingly I found it here in the Netherlands at just a two hour drive. It weighs about 700 grams (a pound and a half) more than the old one. I presume this is what has rusted away in 60 years. Anyway, I sprayed it as well.

I also replaced the studs from the exhaust manifold to exhaust flange (The thread had gone) brushed and painted it with a heat resistant steel color paint. Let’s see how long that stays.

Volg

Ontvang elk nieuw bericht direct in je inbox.

Doe mee met 76 andere volgers